Mar 15, 2010

Driving Adventures - Part II

Another hectic day at work comes to an end! I step out of office & it's dark already. Its not too late but, it's a winter month so by 5.40 the sun has set already & traffic is at its 'peakest'!

As always, my music gives me company & keeps me cool through the maze of traffic. I come down the last flyover on my way & again, as always, instead of going upto the signal to take the left turn, I turn into the slip road. The slip road has few potholes but is still faster & traffic free.

The car infront of me seems to be reluctant to reach where it's suppose to but I am not in a mood to overtake it. The car's driver suddenly decides that he needs to take a left & does so. I am a bit taken aback by the sudden swaying of the car. My speed is very less so it was ok & I was at a safe distance. Some people, I think!

There is a car coming towards me from the opposite direction & the one behind it is desperate to overtake! I calculate that if the second car does decide to overtake, he would hit me head-on. So I move to my left slightly. Guess this was my mistake. The car which was desperate to overtake, overtakes & there is no place for me to move further left. The car hits! Thankfully not head on.. The car hits my car on the side starting from next to the headlight to the tail-light! My rear view mirror flies off & the door glass bursts on my face.... The car slows down but doesnot stop & then speeds away!

Fortunately, I am not hurt other than a slight throbbing on my right cheek due to the impact of the door glass breaking! I am filled with glass from head to toe. There is no point if I stop & get off my car. So, I drive home. Access the damage, feel bad & upset. But, what is done is done.

Driving the car next day morning is now a challenge! It's cold & I don't have a window! Anyhow I drive to work with Jacket, muffler & gloves on!
The mechanic is contacted & car repaired in few hours. Other than few thousand rupees, I did lose my confidence a notch.

It's all history now! I still wonder if the other car had stopped, what would I have done to the driver.. Hit, abuse, called the cops or made him/her pay up... Maybe, I would have just let him/her go!


Earlier posts....
Driving Series:
Prelude
Part-I

No comments: