Feb 5, 2010

Conversation Series-Part-II

This is in continuation of my earlier posts,( intro and Part I) where I'm recounting the type of people I & my parents met in the process of trying to find a 'suitable match' for me!

This story also starts through a matrimonial ad placed in a leading daily!
The contact details mentioned in the ad were used & contact established with the father of the guy in question. During the course of the discussion it was mutually agreed that on a designated date, I along with Dad would meet the guy & his parents in Bombay. The guy lived in Bombay & his parents were also reaching there around that time so it would be convenient for all.

So, tickets booked, travel details conveyed, address exchanged and agreed that the venue would be discussed & finalised on the date of meeting.
We landed in Bombay at my mausi's place & the phone was connected to discuss the plan of meeting. The phone at our end was kept in loudspeaker mode so that all can hear the conversation & give inputs on the venue & meeting time.

All almost finalised when the father of the guy comes out with a very very special 'requirement'. He conveyed to my Dad that, Dad should ensure that the girl (that's yours truly) NEEDS to be attired 'decently' when we meet. He goes on to add that 'decently' means either Salwar Kameez or Saree. Further, he added that the kameez/blouse should not be sleeveless.....

I almost jumped out of my chair with my temper gone beyond the roof! I gestured to my Dad to bang the phone down. He, obviously ended the conversation decently.

I absolutely refused to go. My take, who is he to dictate what I will wear. A prospective FIL, but only prospective. If this is the attitude now, what will happen if things move further. Moreover, he expects me/us to be artificial & made up to please their eyes... Then, what all would they be hiding/covering/camouflaging, I wondered.

Since, we had travelled all the way & were going to return the next day, Dad said that we should go & give them a benefit of doubt.
So, we reach, meet but my mind was closed by then.
Oh yes! I did mention to the guy that I had expected to see him in Kurta Payjama/Dhooti & not Jeans & T-Shirt....

Loved the expression on his face... Priceless.....

:)

No comments: