Sep 1, 2013

Moving On ...

Recently, I ended up having an argument with a 'friend'. Actually, argument would not be the right word. 

Every interaction between two people come with a set of expectations. We may claim that we don't have expectations, but we always do. As per my understanding, hoping someone would laugh at your jokes or would understand your point of view is also expectation. As mortal beings, we can not, not have expectations.
Even here, the person in question and I had certain expectations from each other and they didn't fit well. This lead to some friction & then silence...
I was hurt and introspective. In that mode I decided that I need to change myself so that I don't have to face such disappointing situations & feeling of hurt again. When I was going through these emotions I read a story.

 "
The Spider and the Sage
“I would rather be fooled than not believe.” 

 In India, there is a story about a kind, quiet man who would pray in the Ganges River every morning. One day after praying, he saw a poisonous spider struggling in the water and cupped his hands to carry it ashore. As he placed the spider on the ground, it stung him. Unknowingly, his prayers for the world diluted the poison.
The next day the same thing happened. On the third day, the kind man was knee deep in the river, and, sure enough, there was the spider, legs frantic in the water. As the man went to lift the creature yet again, the spider said, “Why do you keep lifting me? Can’t you see I will sting you every time, because that is what I do.” And the kind man cupped his hands about the spider, replying, “Because that is what I do.”

The story touched my heart. I resolved never to change myself because something didn't go my way or the way I expected it to. After all, I am doing 'what I do'. This does not mean that the outcome would be what I want it to be ...
The story helped my find peace... Incidentally, this story is from a book gifted to me by the person in question ...

No comments: